Commercial Occupancy Program

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

commercial buildingThe City of Collinsville wants to ensure that all residential and non-residential properties are safe, maintained, and meet the minimum requirements. We act to accomplish this through the City’s Occupancy Permit Program. The Occupancy Permit Program provides inspections for residential and commercial properties located within the city limits and an Occupancy Permit is issued when a property passes the inspection.

An Occupancy Permit is required when the occupancy or ownership of commercial building (including tenant spaces) changes and for all new commercial developments.

  • Commercial Occupancy Permit Program Start: January 1, 2019

The Commercial Occupancy Permit program does not currently apply to all businesses, but will apply to the following 2 categories of businesses and structures:

  1. New and Relocating Businesses: the Fire Department currently inspects new businesses and those relocating to another address within Collinsville as part of the Business License Program; this process will continue under the new Ordinance.
  2. The following types of commercial structures: these types of businesses and structures are required to be inspected annually:
    • All structures in the R1 Use Group as defined in the Building Code, i.e., hotels, motels, bed and breakfast and boarding houses.
    • All structures in the A-1 Use Group as defined in the Building Code, i.e., theaters, concert halls.
    • All structures in the A-3 Use Group as defined in the Building Code, i.e., structures intended for worship, recreation, amusement, community halls, dance halls, etc.
    • Any other structure within the Assembly Group as defined in the Building Code, which in the determination of the Building Official presents a potential public safety hazard to the occupants.
    • All structures having automatic fire suppression systems, including fire suppression cooking hood systems.
    • All structures and facilities used for child care and having an average daily attendance of eight or more children.
    • Any structure in the H (hazardous) Use Group as defined by the Building Code.

Annual inspections will be completed based on the date of renewal of your business license/registration.

If Your Business License/Registration Expires Your Inspection Will Take Place During
January 1 – March 31 January - February
April 1 – June 30 March – May
July 1 – September 30 June – August
October 1 – December 31 September - November

If you don’t currently have a business license or registration, please contact Carrie Carlisle, Business License Clerk at 618-346-5200 ext. 1132 or at

Affected businesses (those in the categories above) will receive a packet in the mail by the end of 2018.

The packet will include copies of forms and other information shown here. Additional copies can be printed below or picked up from City Hall or the Fire Station, or emailed upon request.

If you are unsure whether or not you are affected by this ordinance, contact the Fire Department (see contact info below).

  • Those businesses receiving a packet whose Business License/Registration expires during January, February or March 2019, should complete the application and return it to City Hall as soon as is convenient so the required inspection can be scheduled during January and February. Once the application is submitted, the Fire Department will contact the individual listed to schedule the inspection.
  • Those businesses receiving a packet whose Business License/Registration expires during April and after will receive an application along with the Business License Renewal Packet. If your Renewal Packet is sent to a corporate office, you will receive another letter from the Fire Department when it is time to schedule your inspection.
  • Churches and certain Non-Profit Organizations are currently exempt from the Business Licensing / Registration program, but will be receiving an Occupancy Permit packet and will be required to be inspected annually per the Occupancy Permit Ordinance. The City strongly suggests that Churches & Non-Profit Organizations voluntarily register with the Business License Clerk so that the City will have necessary information, especially emergency contact info.

If you have any questions, or need more information on the program, please contact the Fire Department at 346-5022 ext. 3141 or by email at

Applications and Documents

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer