Fire Hydrant Flushing - City Wide

The Collinsville Fire Department will be conducting fire hydrant testing throughout the city. For a list of current locations you can visit the Fire Department's Facebook page If your water runs and is a brownish color, this is why. Please just let your water run until it runs clear. We encourage you to not do any white loads of laundry during this time.

Building Permits & Inspections

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Building Permits are required within the City of Collinsville, and inspections are mandatory for certain types of work. If you are unsure whether or not you need a building permit, please call the Building Department to verify. Following are the types of Building Permits we issue, along with a general description of each.


Ready for an inspection? Call the office at 618-346-5200 ext. 3. 

Limited “U” Permit

The most common type of building permit is a “Limited” or “U” Permit, which is used for roofing, siding, windows, pools, fences, sheds, decks, etc., whether residential or commercial. As a guideline, any exterior work valued at more than $500 is eligible for a “U” permit, although there are exceptions. Several “jobs” can be included on the same permit for the same fee, such as roof, windows, gutters, pool, fence and deck. The cost is always $50, regardless of the cost of the work. A Limited “U” Permit is valid for six (6) months.

Residential “R” Permit

All residential work over and above that listed above for the Limited “U” Permit requires an “R” permit, and includes total residential remodels, basement finishes, total bathroom or kitchen rehabs, room additions, garages, sunrooms, new residential construction and most jobs over $10,000 (with the exception of roofing), and work involving plumbing, drywall, or electric. Some “R” permit projects can be issued at the front counter while the applicant waits, while others may require plan review by an Inspector prior to issuance, which can take several days. Building plans maybe required for Residential “R” Permits. The cost of a Residential “R” Permit is based on the total cost of all the work and is valid for six (6) months.

Commercial "B" Permit

All commercial work over and above that listed above for the Limited “U” Permit requires a “B” permits, and includes new commercial construction, total renovations, commercial tenant finishes, commercial kitchen installs/renovations, bathroom installs/renovations, changes to façades, ingress/egress, windows, doors, exit pathways, etc. Building Plans are always required for “B” Permits. Other approvals, such as from the Fire Marshall, State Plumbing Inspector, etc. may be necessary prior to a Commercial “B” Permit being issued. The cost of a Commercial "B" Permit is based on the total cost of all the work plus fees for water/sewer taps, etc. and is valid for six (6) months.

Electrical "E" Permit

All electrical work requiring the involvement of Ameren or SW Electric requires an “E” permit. The cost of the permit is based on the type of work done, and is listed on the application.

Mechanical "M" Permit

All work involving boiler systems, HVAC systems, and fire suppression/sprinkler systems requires an “M” permit. Building Plans are always required for “M” Permits. Other approvals, such as from the Fire Marshall, State Plumbing Inspector, etc. may be necessary prior to a Mechanical “M” Permit being issued. The cost of the permit is based on the total cost of the work.

Demolition "D" Permit

The demolition of residential and commercial structures, including mobile/modular homes, garages, carports, and sheds, as well as interior commercial tenant spaces prior to a new tenant finish, requires a “D” permit. The cost of the permit is $100 and is valid for 30 days, however, an extension may be granted at the discretion of the Chief Building Official.

Land Disturbance (Grading) Permits

Except as exempted by Code, it's unlawful for the owner of a property and/or that owner’s agent to perform land disturbance activities affecting more than 5,000 square feet of land area or cuts/fills that are greater than 30 cubic yards without first obtaining a land disturbance permit.

If the land disturbance is less than one acre, and if it is determined by the City Engineer that erosion & sediment control plan can be waived, then a MINOR Land Disturbance Permit can be issued without the need to prepare and submit sediment and erosion control plans. Typically, individual home construction, outbuildings, additions, and minor residential improvements and grading operations qualify for Minor permits. If the land disturbance is one acre or greater, or if the City Engineer cannot waive the plan submittal requirements, then a MAJOR Land Disturbance Permit will be required. A Major Land Disturbance Permit will require engineering calculations, design documentation, and sediment and erosion control plans. Contact the City Engineer at 346-5211 ext. 2211 if you are unsure of the type of permit needed.

  • Download a Minor or Major Land Disturbance Permit application

ROW Excavation Permit

Any work that encroaches into the City right-of-way, such as driveways , requires a ROW Excavation Permit. This permit is reviewed and issued by the Department of Public Works, but is included on this page as it often is required in conjunction with a Building Permit. Please direct all related questions to Public Works at 618-346-5200 ext. 1124.

Wireless Facility Permits

City of Collinsville Municipal Code of Ordinance Sections 5.84 and 5.86 include regulations, standards and procedures for the siting and collocation of small wireless facilities on rights-of-way within the City's jurisdiction, or outside the rights-of-way on property zoned by the City exclusively for commercial or industrial use, in a manner that is consistent with the Small Wireless Facilities Deployment Act (Public Act 100-0585). The siting of any such facilities requires a Small Wireless Facilities Permit. Fees for such permits are as delineated in the above-referenced sections. Any such facility located within a City right-of-way shall also require a ROW/Excavation Permit.

All other wireless facilities, exclusive of those governed by a franchise agreement with the City, shall require a commercial building permit and are subject to the requirements, standards, and procedures contained in Municipal Code of Ordinances Chapter 15.44 - Telecommunications Towers.

Contact Information



Phone Extension


Randy Tedesco

Chief Building Official

618-346-5200 ext.1159


 Bert Fite

Building Inspector

618-346-5200 ext.1130


 Mike Foreshee

Plumbing Inspector

 618-346-5200 ext.1126


 Amy Boeving  Building Assistant  618-346-5200 ext.1126 email 

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer