Regulation of Yard & Garage Sales
The term YARD SALE shall mean any display of merchandise for the purpose of exchanging it for legal tender or barter at a location not otherwise regularly used or specifically designated for the sale or exchange of merchandise. Events commonly known as GARAGE SALES, TAG SALES, MOVING SALES, or BASEMENT SALES shall be included in the definition of a YARD SALE.
- No person or organization shall operate a yard sale within City of Collinsville without first obtaining a permit from City Hall.
- The provisions of this Section shall not apply to bankruptcy, estate, or other sales under judicial process or sales conducted from church, school, or civic buildings by nonprofit religious, civic, or charitable organizations.
ISSUANCE OF PERMIT
- The City Clerk is authorized to issue a permit to anyresident after completion of an application form. The application form shall include the name and address of the applicant and the date or dates of the sale. There is no fee for a Yard Sale Permit.
- No person, or address, shall receive more than two (2) yard sale permits during any one calendar year.
- Each permit issued shall be valid only for the date(s) of, location of, and the sale designated on the permit. Permit shall be posted on-site in a location easily seen by enforcement officials. Each permit shall be issued only to the owner or occupant of the premises at which the sale is to be held. It shall be unlawful for any person to conduct a sale who is not the owner or occupant of the premises where such sale is held.
PERMITS ARE NON-TRANSFERRABLE
It shall be unlawful for any person to conduct a retail sales business pursuant to a permit issued, or to engage in any sales other than that of used or discarded and unwanted items of personal property. No sales shall be conducted on any public sidewalk, alleyway, or public right-of-way. Sales shall be limited to a period of two (2) consecutive days and shall be conducted only during the hours of 7AM and 5PM.
ADVERTISING & SIGNAGE RESTRICTIONS:
Number, Size, and Location of Signs - One sign shall be allowed, not exceeding 24”x36” which is located on the premises at which the sale is held. In addition, one sign shall be allowed not exceeding 24”x36” that may be located at the end of the street on which the premises is located, with permission of the property owner only. It shall be unlawful to post or adhere yard sale signs to trees, City street signs, stop signs, utility poles, traffic signals, or any other traffic or regulatory signs, posts, or poles, on any building, or in any way that obstructs the view of traffic, or within the limits of the public right-of-way. Time Limitations - Signs may be put up two (2) hours prior to the beginning of the first day of the sale, and must be removed no later than two (2) hours after the end of the last sale day.
REVOCATION OF PERMIT
- Any person who violates these provisions shall be subject to the immediate revocation of the permit and be subject to a fine. Please call City Hall @ 346-5200 with questions.