City Hall 618-346-5200


Frequently Asked Building Questions

1. My Neighbor Is Doing Work Without A Permit; What Should I Do?


Building Permits are required to be posted in the front window visible from the street.  If you do not see a building permit posted where work is going on, you can call the City’s Anonymous Hotline at 618.346.5200 option 3.  A Code Enforcement Officer will investigate the complaint and ensure the work is permitted and completed according to requirements.  If you have specific questions about possibly unpermitted work, you can contact Building Department Staff at any time, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am – 5 pm.

Questions:  Amy Boeving, Administrative Assitant, 618.346.5200 ext 1126, or email / Bert Fite, Building Inspector, 618.346.5200 ext 1130, or

2. What Happens If I Don't Get A Building Permit?


Failure to obtain building permits when required may result in citation, fines and even court appearances.  Stop Work Orders can be issued by either the Building Inspector or the Code Enforcement Officers and work that is done without the required permits and inspections may have to be removed and redone according to code.  When work is done without a permit, complaints may come from neighbors, contractors, and sometimes just those driving past.  Always be sure to confirm with City Staff when a building permit is needed, and post the permit in the window visible from the street as required. 

Questions:  Kendra Cunningham, Administrative Assitant, 618.346.5200 ext 1126, or / Bob Bohnenstiehl, Building Inspector, 618.346.5200 ext 1130, or

Building Permit - Limited Building Permit - Limited (436 KB)

Building Permit - Residential Building Permit - Residential (1194 KB)

Building Permit - Commercial Building Permit - Commercial (1270 KB)

Building Codes 2016 Building Codes 2016 (9 KB)

3. When Do I Need A Building Permit?


Generally, permits are required for most work that exceeds $500 in value.  Free, donated or discounted materials still have value, and work done with these materials still requires a building permit when applicable.  Examples of exterior work needing permits: siding, roofing, windows, fences, pools, decks, sheds, retaining walls.  Examples of interior work needing permits: plumbing, electric, drywall (moving, removing or construction of walls), kitchen or bathroom renovation, basement finish, total rehab or remodel, stairs, ingress/egress doors or windows.  PLEASE NOTE:  these examples are not all inclusive and permits may be required for work not listed here. 

Permits can be obtained by the homeowner/occupant or by the contractor.  To confirm when a permit is needed, please contact the Building Department. 

Questions:  Kendra Cunningham, Administrative Assitant, 618.346.5200 ext 1126, or / Bob Bohnenstiehl, Building Inspector, 618.346.5200 ext 1130, or

Building Permit - Limited Building Permit - Limited (436 KB)

Building Permit - Residential Building Permit - Residential (1194 KB)

Building Permit - Commercial Building Permit - Commercial (1270 KB)

Building Codes 2016 Building Codes 2016 (9 KB)

4. Why is a Building Permit Required?


Generally, the best way to ensure Codes and requirements are communicated to the public is to require anyone doing work within the City to come in to City Hall to obtain a building permit.  Without this requirement, most people would never know what Codes to follow or what requirements must be met related to their project.  City Staff also ensures that contractors are properly State Licensed when required.

Some types of work require inspections, and depending on the extent of the work, different building codes will apply.  Our Building Inspector is trained and experienced with all applicable building codes, and is the best source for obtaining this information.  In some cases, State Plumbing Inspection or Fire Marshal Inspection is also required.  The building permit process is the best way to alert these parties that work is being done, so it can be inspected per State Law. 

Additionally, the City is able to keep records on improvements within the City, as well as contractor information and value of repairs or improvements.  These records are helpful to both the City and the homeowner, and are often used by the tax assessor, appraisers, realtors, or potential buyers if and when the property is sold.

Questions:  Kendra Cunningham, Administrative Assitant, 618.346.5200 ext 1126, or / Bob Bohnenstiehl, Building Inspector, 618.346.5200 ext 1130, or

Building Permit - Limited Building Permit - Limited (436 KB)

Building Permit - Residential Building Permit - Residential (1194 KB)

Building Permit - Commercial Building Permit - Commercial (1270 KB)

Building Codes 2016 Building Codes 2016 (9 KB)

5. Will A Building Permit Cause My Taxes To Go Up?


When applying for a building permit, the cost/value of the work is required.  This assists City Staff in calculating permit fees, and also helps us keep records on the value of improvements made by City residents during a given year.  Building Permit reports are provided to the Madison County Tax Assessor’s Office, but the value of the work stated on the permit is not used to increase your taxes.  However, a higher value job does alert the Tax Assessor that an improvement has been made, and that improvement can be assessed according to the Tax Assessor’s policies and procedures. 

Questions:  Madison County Tax Assessor, 618.345.0051.  St. Clair County Tax Assessor, 618.277.6600 ext 2653.

Frequently Asked Licensing Questions

1. How Does the Crime Free Program Benefit Me As The Owner Of Rental Property?


The program has proven its benefit to the entire community in just the first few years with a significant reduction in police calls to properties with the highest crime rates.  The program also helps provide a more stable tenant base, with an increased demand for rental units that can prove management is taking an active role in crime prevention.  Property values are increased while maintenance costs go down (due to more established tenants and less turnover).  Personal safety is increased not only for tenants, but for landlords and property managers as well. 

2. I Already Have A Business License For My Business, But I Am Moving To A New Location; Do I Need Approval?


Yes, reporting your new address to the License Clerk is required, and moving to a new location requires the same application and approval process as the original application.  Your new location must be appropriately zoned, and Fire Department inspection and approval at the new building will be necessary.

Questions Regarding Business Licenses:  Carrie Carlisle, License Clerk, or 618.346.5200 ext. 1132 

Business License Application Business License Application (72 KB)

3. I Am Considering Opening a Bar or Restaurant That Will Serve Alcohol And Have Gaming Machines; What Do I Need To Do?


When considering a business including alcohol sales, you will want to check on available liquor licenses.  The City has restrictions on the number of certain types of licenses, and Video Gaming Licenses are available only to certain liquor license holders.  Additional licensing and approvals through the County and State are also required.  After determining what type of Liquor License is available, you would follow the same process as any other business to obtain your Business License.  (See other related FAQ's)

Questions Regarding Liquor Licenses:  Kim Wasser, City Clerk, or 618.346.5200 ext. 1113 

Business License Application Business License Application (72 KB)

Liquor License Application Liquor License Application (163 KB)

4. I Want To Open A Business In Collinsville, Where Do I Start?


Begin by downloading the Guide to Opening a Business, which will provide you with a guideline through the approval process.  Before entering into any lease or purchase agreements, you will want to speak to the appropriate City Staff to determine if your project or business is feasible at the location you have chosen.  Larger development projects requiring financial incentives may result in redevelopment agreements and complicated negotiations, but all business owner/operators will want to check into two major areas prior to making location decisions.  First is zoning.  When the business is not compatible with the zoning district in which it is proposed, rezoning may be necessary.  Second is occupancy.  All existing buildings must be inspected by the Fire Department to confirm compliance with Life Safety and Fire Codes before they can be occupied for commercial use.  The Assistant Fire Chief will schedule a walk through with you and the Building Inspector to determine compliance.  Extensive renovations are sometimes necessary and may have a financial impact on the location you have chosen for your business. 

Questions Regarding Business Licenses:  Carrie Carlisle, License Clerk, 618./346.5200 ext 1132, or

Questions Regarding Existing Zoning:  Amy Boeving, Planning Assistant, 618.346.5200 ext. 1126, or .

Questions Regarding Occupancy Codes & Inspection:  Doug Deadmond, Fire Inspector, 618.346.5022 ext 3154, or

Bert Fite, Building Inspector, 618.346.5200 ext. 1130, or

Questions Regarding New Development Projects:  David Bookless, Community Development Director, 618.346.5200 ext. 1120 or

Questions Regarding Financial Incentives: Cristen Hardin , Associate Planner, 618.346.5200 ext. 1140, or

Questions Regarding Uptown Businesses:  Cristen Hardin , Associate Planner, 618.346.5200 ext. 1140, or .No media download found.

Business License Application Business License Application (72 KB)

Use Table Use Table (670 KB)

Rezoning Information

5. I Want To Open A Business In My Home; How Do I Get A Business License?


Running a business from your home is certainly acceptable with certain restrictions.  For example, a lawncare company may have an office in the home, but may not store equipment, machinery or materials on site.  An accountant may open a tax service in the home, but may not have more than 5 business related visits per day.  All the requirements for Home Occupation approval can be found in the Home Occupation Application linked below, along with a list of businesses that are prohibited from being run out of the home.

Questions Regarding Business Licenses:  Carrie Carlisle, License Clerk, 618.346.5200 ext. 1132, or

Business License Home Occupation Application Business License Home Occupation Application (90 KB)

6. What Is This Crime Free Program All About?


The Crime Free Multi Housing Program is an international program that is now used in 48 US States, Canada, England, Nigeria, and Puerto Rico.  The original program was developed by the Mesa Arizona Police Department in 1992, to reduce crime, drugs, and gang activity at rental properties.  In Collinsville, the Police Department has partnered with property owners and managers to create a unique coalition designed to address criminal activity within our community.  See more on the Police Department Page and at the International Crime Free Association’s webpage:

7. Why Do I Need A License To Hold A Raffle?

Answer: Basically, raffles are illegal under State Statute unless the municipality has an ordinance regulating them.  In 1996, the City implemented the licensing procedures in order to legally allow raffles to be held within the City limits. 

Frequently Asked Planning & Zoning Questions

1. Tell Me About Residential Zoning?


Residentially, certain neighborhoods are zoned strictly Single Family, even though some of the single family homes may be considered “rental units”.  The ownership of the home is not regulated by zoning; only the actual use of the home as a single family housing unit.  Other neighborhoods are zoned for other types of housing, from single family (R1), to duplexes (R2), to multifamily apartment buildings (R3).  In order to regulate quality, safety, and aesthetics of multifamily development in our Community, the Zoning Code requires that any new multifamily construction (R2 and up) is rezoned to a Planned Zoning District regardless of how it is currently zoned.  This means that the City can impose specific requirements on that particular multifamily development, and also allows the City to “waive” certain requirements that may not be feasible for the development.  Single Family homes are not allowed to be converted to more than one unit without a total rezoning, and secondary units are not allowed to be constructed on the same residential lot, such as in/over a garage or in a basement, without rezoning approval.  Secondary units in another building on the same lot are not allowed as only one residential structure can exist on any residentially zoned parcel.  This does not apply to attached “mother in law” suites that are not rented or leased and does not apply to certain multifamily residential developments.

Questions:  Amy Boeving, Planning Assistant at 618.346.5200 ext 1126 or

2. What Does "NonConforming" or "Grandfathered" Mean?


Some of the City’s zoning designations are not appropriate for the uses currently located there – they may have been started before the zoning was put into place, or when requirements were different.  These are referred to as “grandfathered” uses, which are technically “nonconforming”.  A nonconforming use, such as a long-standing auto repair shop on a residential street, can continue to operate and can also be sold to new owner(s) without any changes in zoning.  They cannot however, be rebuilt, expanded, or replaced if destroyed or abandoned.  The reason for this is to eventually “phase out” these uses that do not conform to current zoning regulations - in other words, these businesses were opened many years ago and now the surrounding area is a residential neighborhood which is not entirely appropriate for this type of commercial business.  Eventually the nonconforming business will be gone, and the property will return to residential use, just like the surrounding neighborhood. 

3. What is Zoning?


Many people don’t understand the reason for zoning, or the basis for some strict requirements when it comes to rezoning property.  Zoning basically means that certain uses are allowed only in certain areas of the City.  Residential uses can be found almost Citywide, while commercial uses are limited to areas of the City that are most equipped to handle those uses without undue hardship to the surrounding community or neighborhood.  Industrial type uses are ideally located on the outskirts of town so they do not bother surrounding residents; neighborhood uses, such as hair salons and insurance offices, are ideally located within the neighborhoods they serve.  The City uses the NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) to ensure use categories are standard. 

Questions: Amy Boeving, Planning Assistant at 618.346.5200 ext 1126 or



Forms & Information: 

Use Table Use Table (670 KB)

Zoning Map Zoning Map (3288 KB)

Zoning Code Zoning Code (1965 KB)

4. When/Why would I need to Rezone?


Some properties located within the City may require rezoning in order to be used in certain ways.  For example, a residential home located in a more “commercial” area on Vandalia would require rezoning in order to be used for a commercial business, even though commercial businesses may exist all around it.  As a part of that rezoning, specific requirements would have to be met, from interior improvements in order to meet Health & Safety Codes, to exterior improvements to provide enough parking, a nicely landscaped frontage, or screening from other lots that are still being used as single family homes.  This is to maintain a certain level of quality in our Community, while protecting the citizens that live or own property nearby.   New construction or development may require rezoning in order for the proposed use to fit the zoning of the surrounding area. 

Questions Regarding Large Rezoning Projects:  Mitch Bair, Community Development Director, 618.346.5200 ext 1120, or

Questions Regarding General Rezoning:  Tracy Carlson, Planning Assistant – 618.346.5200 ext 1123 or

Forms & Information: 

Zoning Code Zoning Code (1965 KB)

Rezoning Application - Existing Structures Rezoning Application - Existing Structures (175 KB)

Rezoning Application - New Construction Rezoning Application - New Construction (49 KB)

Site Plan Application Site Plan Application (419 KB)

Development Fees Worksheet Development Fees Worksheet (46 KB)

Planning Commission Schedule Planning Commission Schedule (14 KB)

Frequently Asked Street Department Questions

1. Does the Street Department pick up leaves or limbs?


·        No, the City does not pick up limbs, leaves and/or brush.  You can call Republic Services @ 618-656-6883 to add Yard Waste pick-up to your bill.

2. How do I report a pothole, clogged storm drain, etc.?


·        You can call 618-346-5200 EXT. 1110 to reach the Street Department Secretary.

3. How many miles of road / sidewalk does the Street Department maintain?


·        271 lane miles of roadway and 71 miles of sidewalk.

4. What are the hours of operation for the Street Department?


·        Monday - Friday, 7:30AM - 3:30PM.

5. Which roads are maintained by the Street Department?


·        Every road in the City of Collinsville except: Beltline Road, IL-159, IL-157, Bluff Road, Caseyville Road, Collinsville Road, and S. Morrison. (These roads are maintained by Illinois Department of Transportation).

Frequently Asked Fire Department Questions

1. Does the City of Collinsville allow outdoor fires?


The City of Collinsville allows small fires such as campfires, small bonfires, etc., set for recreational or religious purposes. Permits are not required. The following rules must be adhered to:

  • Fire is contained in an area under 36 inches diameter and under 24 inches in height.
  • Fire should be at least 25 feet from structures or combustible materials.
  • Fire shall be constantly attended until extinguished.
  • Means of putting out fire shall be immediately available, such as garden hose, extinguisher, shovel and dirt, etc.
  • Extra caution must be used with any recreational fire in dry or windy conditions.  
  • City ordinance prohibits the burning of brush, leaves, limbs, etc.
  • “Patio fireplaces” may be utilized following the manufacturer’s guidelines and the above list. Be careful to maintain proper clearance from combustibles and in the disposal of hot coals.

2. Does the fire department give tours of the firehouses?

Answer: Yes,

The Collinsville Fire Department conducts fire station tours for small groups from Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Participants must be at least 5 years of age and be accompanied by an adult. 

To arrange a tour of your neighborhood fire station, please contact Fire Administration at (618) 346-5022 ext. 8.

3. How do I obtain a copy of an Ambulance report?


In order to obtain a copy of an ambulance report, an "Authorization to Release Medical Information" form signed by the patient or other legally authorized individual plus a photo ID must be submitted. Copies of ambulance reports may be obtained at Collinsville City Hall, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information call (618) 346-5200.

4. Where can I get a smoke detector?


Leave ‘Em Safe Program

If you or someone you know is sleeping in a home without a working smoke detector, call the Fire Department.  Whether the occupant cannot afford a smoke detector or has been unable to get it installed, call us.  If the occupant agrees to let the firefighters enter, a working smoke detector will be installed or battery replaced free of charge to make sure the occupants are protected before anyone sleeps one more night without a smoke detector.

 In short, the Collinsville Fire Department will do whatever it takes to get a smoke detector protecting the household before we leave. Call before another night goes by. 

Station 1:  130 South Clinton, Collinsville, IL  62234 (618) 346-5022 ext. 8

Station 2:  1160 Belt Line, Collinsville, IL  62234 (618)346-5215

5. Where can i get CPR training?


The City of Collinsville recognizes the importance of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).  The instruction of non-Fire Department personnel increases both awareness and readiness within the community.  This readiness plays a vital role in the chain of survival for heart attack victims.

The purpose of the City of Collinsville CPR certification program is to facilitate the education of the general public in the delivery of effective CPR, in accordance with current American Heart Association guidelines.

The Collinsville Fire Department offers certification and recertification classes to laypersons and healthcare providers.  The four-hour classes are $5 per person and priority of available spots is given to residents.  Upon completion of the course, participants receive a certification card valid for two years.

Classes are offered the first Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m.  Please call by 5 p.m. of the preceding Monday to register.  The minimum number of registrants to hold the class is four.  To register, call (618) 346-5200 ext. 3141.

All courses are taught by Collinsville firefighters certified by the American Heart Association. Classes are held at:

Collinsville Firehouse #1

130 S. Clinton St.

Collinsville, IL  62234

6. Why are the hydrants on my street being opened?


Hydrant Maintenance Program

The purpose of the Collinsville hydrant flushing program is to provide better water quality to residents and ensure their proper operation in the event of a fire.   For the hydrant to operate properly, crews check for ease of opening and closing, ensure that water flow stops when the hydrant is shut down, and make sure water remaining in the barrel drains down below ground level into surrounding soil. If a hydrant does not perform all of these functions, the hydrant must be repaired by the Water Department. Hard turning or inoperable fire hydrants can be a serious problem for the Fire Department during emergency situations and any leaks within the hydrant can be a source of water loss and a major cause for hydrant freeze up during the winter months.

City ordinance also requires that fire hydrants have a 48-inch circle around the hydrant that is free from obstructions.  This helps firefighters find the hydrant in the event of an emergency.  When a violation of this ordinance is discovered, a letter will be sent to the homeowner requesting the obstruction be removed, and follow-up will be performed to ensure removal has been completed.

The City will update areas with hydrants being flushed on their website, Facebook, and Twitter pages.  Hydrant flushing may cause residential water to temporarily turn brownish in color.  If this occurs, run the water until it becomes clear, and refrain from washing white clothes at that time.

Latest Blogs

    Contact us:

    City Hall:

    City of Collinsville

    125 S. Center Street
    Collinsville,IL 62234

    Tel: 618-346-5200

    Service Desk Hours: 8:30am - 5:00 pm

    Contact City Council:

    Mayor John Miller  - - 618-346-5200 x1162 

    Councilman Cheryl Brombolich  - - 618-346-5200 x1169

    Councilman Jeff Stehman  - - 618-346-5200 x1135

    Councilman David Jerome  - - 618-346-5200 x1164

    Councilman Donna Green  - - 618-346-5200 x1161


    * Required