City Hall 618-346-5200

Zoning Procedures

Development: The beginning of a development process can start in many ways, from an initial phone call for general information, to in-depth meetings with City Staff to discuss location, zoning requirements, and/or development incentives. Derek Jackson, Director of Community Development, also serves as the City’s Planner and is responsible for overall management of development projects within the City. He can be contacted at or by telephone at (618) 346-5200 ext. 1129.

For questions regarding the existing zoning, permitted uses, etc. for a specific property, or for general information, please contact Planning Assistant Shawna Robinson at or by telephone at (618) 346-5200 ext. 1123.

If your development project is based on incentives being available, please contact City Manager/Economic Development Director Mitch Bair at or by telephone at (618) 346-5200 ext. 1143.

Site Plan Review: A site plan is set of documents that includes an architectural plan, a landscape plan, and detailed engineering drawings delineating existing and proposed improvements and uses for a parcel or group of parcels of land that includes all existing and proposed features at the site. Site plan review is required for the development or redevelopment of site, when a change of use affects site requirements, enlargements of structures, and or any development within any "R-4" Manufactured Home District or Planned District. Site Plan approval typically requires Planning Commission approval as required by the Zoning Ordinance. The owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative, including a lessee) may file an application for Site Plan review.

Zoning Map Amendments (“Rezoning”): The owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative) may file an application to amend The Official Zoning Map of the City of Collinsville. Amendments to the Zoning Map may also be initiated by the Director of Community Development, the Planning Commission or City Council.

Special Use Permits (SUP): An SUP authorizes certain uses which may be necessary or desirable to allow in a given district, but which because of their potential impact upon neighboring uses, public facilities, or general community need to be carefully regulated with respect to location or operation. Special Use Permits require Planning Commission approval. The owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative, including a lessee) may file an application for a Special Use Permit.

Zoning Ordinance Text Amendments: Like a Zoning Map Amendment, the owner/owners of a property (or their authorized representative) my file an application to amend the text of the Zoning Ordinance or it may be initiated by the Planning Commission or City Council.

Land Subdivision: The Subdivision Ordinance is the regulatory code by which the City controls the division of land within the corporate area of Collinsville in order to promote the public health, safety and general welfare; to further the orderly development of land; to establish accurate records of land subdivisions; to facilitate adequate and coordinated provision for transportation, water, sewerage, schools, parks and other public requirements; and to preserve natural features and historic landmarks. Land subdivision procedures include plats, vacations of subdivisions, and vacations of public streets. Certain land subdivision procedures require Planning Commission review and City Council approval.

Variances & Appeals: Variances allow a petitioner to request, by application, departure from city ordinances in some circumstances when a proposed use or development does not meet the standards for land use established in the Zoning Ordinance. Appeals allow a petitioner to dispute an interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance made by an official of the City. Variances and appeals are heard by the Zoning Hearing Officer.




Latest Blogs

    Contact us:

    City Hall:

    City of Collinsville

    125 S. Center Street
    Collinsville,IL 62234

    Tel: 618-346-5200

    Service Desk Hours: 8:30am - 5:00 pm

    Contact City Council:

    Mayor John Miller  - - 618-346-5200 x1162 

    Councilman Cheryl Brombolich  - - 618-346-5200 x1169

    Councilman Jeff Stehman  - - 618-346-5200 x1135

    Councilman David Jerome  - - 618-346-5200 x1164

    Councilman Donna Green  - - 618-346-5200 x1161


    * Required